Musculoskeletal (MSK) Physiotherapy Team - Whitby, Scarborough, Pocklington and Ryedale
The Musculoskeletal (MSK) Physiotherapy team provide an outpatient-based physiotherapy service for those who have problems affecting:
Some examples of these include:
- A recent injury such as knee strain or sprained ankle
- Following surgery, such as a knee replacement or shoulder operation
- Following a fracture
- Arthritic joints
- Back pain
The service is available for adults aged 18 years within Scarborough and Whitby, and for adults and children in Pocklington.
How to access this service
To access and self-refer to this service please use the link https://forms.office.com/e/CM1hwYUWd6, if you have difficulties accessing the online form call 01653 609609.
How we can help
Musculoskeletal Physiotherapists are Health Professionals with specialist training in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions.
Musculoskeletal physiotherapy is about us helping you to become more mobile, active and productive in your daily life by helping you restore movement and function. Our goal is for you to manage your problem by regaining and maintaining an independent lifestyle as far as possible when you are affected by an accident, illness, injury or disability.
We will ‘listen to you so we can understand your story’ and then use our experience and knowledge to work with you to determine what your problem is and the best way of helping you manage it using the latest research and evidence.
Physiotherapy is most successful when we work together. After assessment the Physiotherapist will set goals and develop an appropriate rehabilitation plan for you which you must be willing to participate in. Our treatments will involve you actively following our advice and taking on some of our suggestions.
Some of the ways we can help include:
- Assessing and diagnosing what the problem is
- Considering what factors might be causing it, or making it worse
- Managing your pain, swelling, muscle spasm and other symptoms
- Optimising and promoting healing of an injury
- Restoring movement to your joints
- Helping correct muscle weakness or imbalance
- Restoring your confidence by helping increase independence and improving movement
- Educating you about healthy living, especially exercise and activity
- Providing advice on work, leisure and daily living
- Managing a long term condition and advising on how to prevent problems in the future
All of our staff are skilled in the core skills of exercise, stretching, mobilisation therapy and teaching self-management strategies.
If you would like some more information about how you can help yourself to manage with an MSK condition please follow this link to the Harrogate and District NHS Trust website: www.harrogatehealthhub.co.uk
What we do not do
The Service does not see patients whose primary problem is
- Neurological such as after a stroke or multiple-sclerosis (MS)
- Respiratory (breathing) problems
- Rehabilitation based problems such as falls and amputees.
- Bladder problems such as incontinence or vaginal prolapse
If you require physiotherapy for the above conditions please contact your GP.