CAMHS Transitions

CAMHS - Transitioning to Adult Mental Health Services Video

What services are available in adult mental health services? There are a range of mental health services available in Hull and the East Riding. Some support can be provided in what is called ‘Primary Care’. This can include having some support to make practical changes in various areas of your life, and access to some talking therapies.

Some people are more appropriately supported by ‘Secondary Care’ mental health services- the information on this page is most relevant to these types of services. Often this will involve being referred to a particular team that covers the area you live in. In this team, you will usually be allocated to a keyworker who will be the main contact for you and organise your support from adult mental health services.

These teams are usually made up of a range of professions, such as nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists. You may not see all of these clinicians, but your keyworker may speak to them to get advice on what to do to support you. You might also see some of them for specific things at some point during your time with the team.

There are also a range of other services available that focus on specific things, such as particular types of talking therapy (e.g. Family Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy). Your keyworker in adult mental health services will be able to talk to you if they think one of these services could be helpful, and if you would like to know what services exist, ask your keyworker.

Usually, your keyworker will remain involved with you if you are referred to one of these more focused services, though some will be happy to become your new keyworkers later on in your support.

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to many Frequently Asked Questions about transitioning to Adult Mental Health Services can be found here.