Whitby Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)

If you have a minor injury or illness that requires urgent attention, but is not life threatening, you can go to the Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) at Whitby Hospital.

Minor injuries and illnesses include:

  • strains and sprains
  • suspected broken limbs
  • minor head injuries
  • cuts and grazes
  • bites and stings
  • minor scalds and burns
  • ear and throat infections
  • skin infections and rashes
  • eye problems
  • coughs and colds
  • feverish illness
  • abdominal pain
  • vomiting and diarrhoea.

Blood tests and other investigations, such as scans, are not available. The UTC does have x-ray facilities, but is not able to obtain chest, neck, back (spine), or hip x-rays.

Please consult NHS 111, your GP practice, or a local pharmacy for non-urgent advice.

If your problem is life-threatening or an emergency, please call 999 immediately or go straight to your nearest A&E.

Opening hours

The Urgent Treatment Centre is open from 08.00 to 20.00, 7 days a week. This includes Bank Holidays.

During busy periods, the Urgent Treatment Centre may reach its capacity prior to 20.00. In these circumstances, patients may be advised to attend the following day or to attend another service.

X-ray facilities are available from 09.00 to 16.30 Monday to Friday, and 09.00 to 12.00 on Saturdays. X-ray facilities are not available on Sundays or public holidays.

Waiting times 

Waiting times at the Urgent Treatment Centre vary considerably; however, we aim to see all patients within 4 hours of arrival.

We ask that patients do not ring to find out the waiting time. This is because the waiting time can change dramatically according to patient demand and/or the nature of the conditions being treated.

The Urgent Treatment Centre is unable to provide any telephone advice, please call NHS 111 for health advice. 

Pre-booked appointments

Pre-booked appointments are available via NHS 111 (where appropriate).

We aim to see all patients who have been provided with a pre-booked appointment within 30 minutes of their appointment time.

The Urgent Treatment Centre is unable to book appointments directly.

The UTC isn't right for me, where do I go?

If you're dealing with a health problem that is not life-threatening and you're unsure what to do, the best option is to call NHS 111. They can tell you what to do next and where to go. You can also use NHS 111 online https://111.nhs.uk/ 

Here are some other options for healthcare in the area, if the problem you're experiencing cannot be cared for at the UTC.

Emergency Care

If someone is seriously ill or injured, or their life is at risk, please call 999 immediately.

Serious illnesses, injuries and life-threatening emergencies that require A&E care, include: 

  • severe trauma including head injuries, road traffic accidents, stabbings or shootings 
  • severe bleeding that won’t stop 
  • chest pains 
  • breathing difficulties 
  • severe fractures 
  • loss of consciousness 
  • overdose/poisoning 
  • severe burns or scalds 
  • serious allergic reactions 
  • sudden confusion 
  • fits (seizures)
  • stroke symptoms (including dizziness, facial weakness, speech problems, problems communicating)

If you are local to Whitby, your nearest A&E departments are Scarborough Hospital and James Cook Hospital in Middlesborough.

Ongoing illnesses

If you have an illness that won’t go away, call your GP who can assess you, prescribe treatment, or refer you to a specialist.

If you do not have a GP, or you have recently moved to a new area and need a GP, find out how to register with a GP surgery. 

Ongoing wound care

The UTC does not provide a service for post-operative wound care or ongoing wound care. If you require post-operative wound care or regular dressing changes, you should make an appointment with your GP practice or with the provider that carried out your operation/procedure.

If you are visiting Whitby, you should ensure that you have made arrangements with a local surgery for your wound care needs. Find out how to register as a temporary patient with a GP: Registering with a GP as a temporary resident - NHS - NHS (www.nhs.uk).

Dental problems 

If you have an urgent problem with your teeth or gums, you should call your dentist. If you need advice or treatment during the out of hours period (evenings, weekends, and public holidays), your dental surgery will usually have an answering machine with instructions on what you need to do.

If you don’t have a dentist (or are visiting Whitby), you should call NHS 111 who will put you in touch with an emergency dental service.

The Urgent Treatment Centre is unable to provide advice or treatment for dental problems; however, you should go to your nearest Accident and Emergency department if you have:

  • injuries to your face, mouth, or teeth
  • severe pain
  • heavy bleeding
  • severe facial swelling
  • diabetes or conditions affecting your immune system
  • a fever or feel unwell

Mental health crisis 

Call 999 if you or someone you know:

  • is close to acting suicidal intentions
  • is worried about your/their safety
  • in a life-threatening situation
  • has seriously self-harmed and needs urgent help.

Call your GP for an emergency appointment if you:

  • experience a mental health problem for the first time
  • have an existing mental health condition that suddenly gets worse
  • have self-harmed but don’t have a life-threatening injury
  • know someone who shows signs of early onset dementia
  • experience, or know someone who suffers from domestic violence or physical, sexual or emotional abuse.

You can also call 111 out of GP surgery hours if you need confidential help immediately.

Where to find us

Whitby Community Hospital

Springhill, Whitby

North Yorkshire

YO21 1DP

There is limited free parking available at Whitby Community Hospital.