Join Dementia Research
What is Join Dementia Research (JDR) ?
JDR is a place to register your interest in participating in dementia research. Dementia affects 850,000 people in the UK. The only way to beat the condition is through research. People with dementia or memory problems, their carers and anyone who is interested can sign up. You can also sign up for someone else providing that you have their consent. Registering is the first step in becoming involved in supporting vital research studies across the nation.
Ways to register for the service:
- Visit joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk
- Contact one of the charity helpline numbers:
- Alzheimer's Research UK: 0300 111 5 111* (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- Alzheimer's Society: 0300 222 1122* (9am to 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am to 5pm Thursday and Friday and 10am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday).
- Calls to helplines cost no more than a national call from any type of phone or provider and calls are included in any free call packages on landlines and mobiles.
- Contact the Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust Research team.
How does JDR work?
The service connects you to studies when there is a 'match' between the information provided by you and the criteria provided by researchers. If you are 'matched' and also eligible for a study, the research team will contact you, and properly explain and discuss the study.
You will be able to ask the Research team as many questions as you like before you make a decision about participating. You can always say 'no' to taking part in a study. Or if you decide to participate and then change your mind, you can withdraw from a study at any time.
There are a number of different types of studies, such as those looking at prevention or new ways to diagnose the condition; trialling new treatments; or studies aiming to improve the quality of life for people with dementia and their carers.
Please watch: How to get involved in dementia research
Help spread the word about JDR
Follow JDR on social media...
Let all your friends know about Join Dementia Research by ‘liking’ them on Facebook, and even better, sharing their page on your wall.
Keep tabs on what JDR is up to and get all the latest news by following them on Twitter. If you think what they are doing is important, please ‘re-tweet’ them so everyone else can hear what they are up to.
Become a JDR champion
JDR champions help raise awareness of dementia research in their local area and play an important role in helping accelerating progress. Find out more.